CHARTERED BUILDING SURVEYORS
Plas Uchaf, Cywyd, Denbighshire, N Wales
Peter Napier and Co
Plas Uchaf, Cynwyd, is a grade 2* listed large medieval hall-house retaining substantial original fabric and exceptionally fine detail, which has been dendro-dated to 1435. The house is clearly of high status, and was probably associated with the barons of Edeirnion. It is cruck-framed with a 2-bay hall including a fine aisle-truss to the cross-passage; to the east are 2 outer rooms in a series. A former inner room to the west is now lost. The walls were probably half-timbered originally and were replaced in stone by the mid-16th century. At this time, an ornate ceiling was inserted but was later removed, and a large fireplace was inserted into the west (dais) end of the hall, along with another at the service end. The building has a remarkably fine and unaltered interior, and one of only a very few to survive in Wales.The building was in a poor state by the mid-late 20th century, resulting in a restoration programme by the Landmark Trust, particularly to the exterior.
For a number of years now water penetration through the west gable and chimney stack has been a problem and various attempts to arrest this have largely failed. Napier and Co have been tasked with finding ways to address this and work was due to commence in May of 2020 but this was not possible due the Covid 19 pandemic.
Work has now been postponed until the Spring of 2021.
The magnificent roof of Plas Uchaf