Peter Napier and Co
CHARTERED BUILDING SURVEYORS
Coed y Bleiddiau, Tan y Bwlch, Gwynedd
Coed y Bleddiau is a small cottage situated by the side of and mid way along the Porthmadog to Blaennau Ffestiniog railway. The name, Coed y Bleiddiau translates as ‘The Wood of the Wolves’ and comes from the legend that this area was the lair of the last wolf in Wales.
The house was built in 1863 for T. Henry Hovenden who was employed by the Ffestiniog Railway as the superintendent of the line later to be known as the General Inspector of the line at a time when the railway was using horse drawn waggons for moving empty slate waggons back up to Ffestiniog after the loaded waggons had reached Porthmadog using gravity alone..
The cottage was later rented out as a holiday cottage and as a long term let to a local couple who moved out sometime in about 2004 following which the building started to fall into disrepair. As a result, the Ffestiniog Railway decided to invite The Landmark Trust to take on the property as a Landmark holiday let.
In 2012, Napier and Co were asked to assess the feasibility of making the property into a Landmark Trust holiday let. They undertook a full measured and condition survey and prepared drawings and schedules of repair and reinstatement.
During research into the history of the cottage, it was discovered that the house was at one time rented as a holiday cottage to Sir Granville Bantock who was an early 20th century English composer and founder member of the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. After the Bantock family vacated the property it was later rented by St John Bridger Philby the father of the spy Kim Philby.
The building works to renovate the property were undertaken by North Wales building, Mark Roberts and the property is now available to rent as a holiday cottage through The Landmark Trust.
Granville Bantock with his friend and fellow composer Edward Elgar